Web Hosting Issues
By Eric Goldman
Cooley Godward LLP
1. WHAT IS HOSTING?
- Collocation (bandwidth + server oversight)
- Hosting (server + collocation + other services)
- Co-Branding (extending the boundaries of the website to third party pages)
- Service Outsourcing (third party providing functionality under branding)
2. SERVICE LEVELS.
- Server Response Time
- Bandwidth Throughput Capacity
- Server Uptime
- System Redundancy/Service Restoration
3. WEBSITE DATA.
- Maintaining trade secrets
- Delivery and analysis of data
- Co-branding/Service Outsourcing: “Ownership” of Data
- “Joint Ownership”—what does this mean?
- Describing rights to use data
4. OTHER ISSUES.
- Termination and transition to new provider
- Sysop liability