Web Hosting Issues
By Eric Goldman
Cooley Godward LLP
1. What is Hosting?
· Collocation (bandwidth + server oversight)
· Hosting (server + collocation + other services)
· Co-Branding (extending the boundaries of the website to third party pages)
· Service Outsourcing (third party providing functionality under branding)
2. Service Levels.
· Server Response Time
· Bandwidth Throughput Capacity
· Server Uptime
· System Redundancy/Service Restoration
3. Website Data.
- Maintaining trade secrets
- Delivery and analysis of data
· Co-branding/Service Outsourcing: “Ownership” of Data
- “Joint Ownership”—what does this mean?
- Describing rights to use data
4. Other Issues.
· Termination and transition to new provider
· Sysop liability